Reach Your Savings Goals Retirement Saving

How to Jumpstart Your Savings In Your 40s and 50s

Here are two favorite methods to automate savings that you might not know about:

  • Split your direct deposit – If you are paid by direct deposit, most employers give you the option to split your direct deposit into multiple accounts. If you are paid bi-weekly, sending $211 every payday into a Roth IRA will save you the maximum $5,500 for the year. You can send a portion of your paycheck to any bank or investment account. Check your financial institution’s website and contact your company’s HR department for more information.
  • Setup a recurring transfer – Log into your bank’s website and look at the section dedicated to transfers. Most banks give you the option to setup a recurring transfer on any schedule you’d like at no charge. If you want to achieve the best results, match the transfer schedule to your direct deposit schedule so you are saving every payday without even thinking about it.

Both methods achieve the same result, and it’s up to you to decide how you want to setup your automated savings. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you think you would be tempted to spend from a linked savings account, consider saving at a different bank than where you have your checking. That makes you wait a couple of days for an online transfer to come through and will help you stop yourself from making impulse purchases from savings.

It’s Never Too Late to Invest

While you won’t have as many decades in the markets as if you had begun saving in your 20s, it is never too late to start investing. If you are in your 40s or 50s, you have at least fifteen years to save before reaching the common retirement milestone 65.

Investing in a low fee, broad market index fund is the best option for most investors. Warren Buffett once suggested putting 90% of investments into a low-cost S&P 500 fund and the remaining 10% in a short-term government bond fund. If you are brand new to investing, check out Vanguard as a popular, low fee mutual fund and ETF provider.

Most individual investors are best off avoiding purchasing stock in individual companies. It takes a lot of cash to create a diversified, well-structured portfolio. An S&P 500 index fund gives you the same portfolio as if you had bought a small share in each of the 500 companies listed in the index.

Put Your Finances on Autopilot to Maximize Your Savings

Your employer gives you direct deposit and access to a 401(k). Your bank and investment company gives you options for recurring transfers and automatic saving and investing. Take advantage to put your savings on autopilot.

Work hard to spend less, earn more, and save as much as possible. Even if you are just starting on your retirement savings now, it’s better late than never and you still have at least a decade and a half before you will need to access your retirement savings. Make savings a priority and you will be on track to reach any reasonable financial goal.

About the author

Eric Rosenberg

Eric Rosenberg

Eric Rosenberg is a finance, travel, and technology writer originally from Denver, Colorado living in Ventura, California. When away from the keyboard, Eric he enjoys exploring the world, flying small airplanes, discovering new craft beers, and spending time with his wife and baby girl. You can connect with him at his own finance blog Personal Profitability.

19 Comments

Leave a Comment